We are going deep into the rumor mill with this article, but as E3 is quickly approaching us in a month, it’s better to report on everything we see as most of it seems to turn out true the closer E3 is. It seems that the next Assassin’s Creed title that is slated for this year, may have had a name change. Sources are now pointing to the title being called “Assassin’s Creed Origins” rather than “Assassin’s Creed: Empire” that previous sources were pointing to. A user on Reddit by the name of Sirusavath, who claims to work for a company that produces materials for pre-orders for games and whom has been reputable in the past, said:
“The company I work for is involved with making pre-order cards for a couple of different department stores and a few weeks ago there was a new order for Far Cry 5. There was also one for Assassin’s Creed: Origins. I saw some of the tenitive artwork for the later a few days ago and it’s the Egypt game that has been rumored to be called Empire……I didn’t get to look at it for long but it was art for a reservation card for a US retailer. The game is called Assassin’s Creed Origins and looks very much like it’s set in Egypt. The artwork had a city with a pyramid in the background. In the centre of the card there is the new assassin walking toward the city. It looked like he was carrying a shield, a bow, and he had a hawk of some sort on his shoulder…..This isn’t the first time that I’ve found out about a game thanks to my work and in past experiences the game is usually announced before our printer ships the cards, or shortly after. I believe these are scheduled to shipped on the 30th so the official announcement should come by then,”
Gathering from what he said, it confirms the Egypt setting which seems to have continued to pop up in several rumors over the past year as well as that it will be coming later this year. Along with this fresh new rumor, the fine people over at WWG seems to have landed on some fresh information regarding the game. We have outlined the information below for you:
- Assassin’s Creed Origins is a vast open world experience taking place in ancient Egypt.
- The story is rumoured to revolve around the original assassin’s guild and will feature two main characters – a man and a woman. (Similar to Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate with the characters)
- Its structure is said to be less linear, featuring a character progression system less tied to the story.
- A development source WWG spoke to compared it numerous times to Bethesda’s Skyrim.
- The game will apparently grant the player considerably more freedom, featuring a greater emphasis on exploration over previous entries in the series. (Reminds us of Assassin’s Creed 3)
- One source tells WWG that this is the biggest Assassin’s Creed the company has ever created and is “huge” in scope. They say that it has been in development for “at least” several years now.
- Not only is Origins rumored to boast an explorable ancient Egypt, players will also apparently be able to go beyond it – possibly even as far as Greece.
- WWG was told that boats will return in the game, allowing the player to sail the Mediterranean. Naval combat, naturally, is also said to be included. (Similar to Assassin’s Creed 4)
- Another source linked with Ubisoft described to WWG an internal video they were shown of a teaser for Origins. It apparently began by showing scenes of Egypt, before transitioning between different periods and locations throughout history, including an Asian country, WW2 era France, and a modern day Abstergo Industries facility.
As with all rumors, take it with a grain of salt until confirmation. I expect we will be seeing this at the Ubisoft E3 conference this year. Stay tuned to Gaming Tree House for all of your E3 leaks.