It seems as though Capcom Vancouver has handed off the reigns of developing Dead Rising to another studio which should be an interesting and refreshing change for the franchise although it is mentioned that Capcom Vancouver & Japan helped in some of the development. Also, it seems as though Dead Rising 4 will not be canon as it sounds like the game was meant to be a cash grab and Capcom Vancouver honestly did not want to be working on it.
Being Dead Rising 4 isn’t canon, the new studio is wanting to take the Dead Rising franchise back to it’s return and almost act as a reset for the franchise. It takes place 25 years after the original Dead Rising game so we are unsure if the other Dead Rising games will be looked back upon. Although, no characters will be returning from previous games, it seems as though Frank West is heavily mentioned along with Williamette.
The story revolves around a photojournalism student named Jack who is infamous for his conspiracy theories that he writes in the college paper. He sees the outbreak as an opportunity to win big and get “the scoop”. The map will put the player in a college town with three separate sectors, the college, the town, and a mall. The story will contain case files like the original and the truth will slowly be unveiled.
Psychos will also be returning to the game similar to the original. This time psychos will not be “flamboyant/sexualized/cartoony villains”, but will be normal people who have went insane from the outbreak.
The zombies also seem to be tougher than in previous games as zombies can only be killed by damaging the brain. If you injure or shoot any part of the body, the zombies will still fall, but they can still attack you from the ground.
As far as gameplay is concerned, photography and survival escort missions will be returning. Photography similar to the first game will be returning. Survival escort missions will be prominent as well. The AI will be improved for the survivors so that you do not run into issues like the first dead rising game. Also, survivors only take up about half of the side missions, and the other half go into investigatory work and lore. You can also now question and interrogate certain characters to gain information.
The infamous time limit will be returning to the Dead Rising game. It seems to be a lot tougher than previous games. Players will have to give up on certain side quests and pick and choose what to complete. It is possible to complete the game 100% in a single play-through, but only at higher levels.
The game will have a form of 2-player co-op, however no other form of multiplayer will be available.
The game has been in early stages of development since 2015, so I personally expect an announcement some time next year. As always, take every rumor with a huge grain of salt until an official reveal. If you would like to parse through the information exactly as it was given, check it out below:
- NOT being developed by Capcom Vancouver. They wanted to move onto other projects, an entirely different studio is working on this one.
- Began early production back in late 2015, CV was done with Dead Rising after 3 but Capcom had them shit out DR4 using almost entirely old assets for the ten year anniversary
- Just called ‘Dead Rising’, for now. Not a reboot, but a complete return to form and almost a ‘reset’ of sorts for the franchise.
- Puts you in a college town with three separate sectors, the college, the town, and a mall
- Takes place 25 years after the original. You play as a photojournalism student named Jack who is infamous for his conspiracy theories that he writes in the college paper. He sees the outbreak as an opportunity to win big and get “the scoop”
- VERY similar to the original Dead Rising. Time limit is back, and it is tough. Players will have to give up on certain side quests/pick and choose what to do. 100% in a single playthrough IS possible apparently, but only at higher levels.
- Psychos are back, very similar to the first game. Focused more on normal people who have gone insane rather than flamboyant/sexualized/cartoony villains
- No characters from previous games appear, however Frank West is apparently mentioned frequently
- DR4 is not canon, at least in this game’s timeline. Willamette is referenced heavily as still being gated off after the events of the first game
- Photography makes a return, as well as the ability to question and interrogate certain characters. This is used in the story but is also used in side missions
- Survivor escorts are back, but the AI isn’t retarded like the original. Also they only take up about half of the side missions, the other half go into investigatory work and lore
- I can’t get into it without spoiling the story, which I’m not doing. It’s like the first game, there are Case files and the truth is slowly unveiled.
- Apparently it’s similar to the first game, except zombies must be killed by damaging the brain. Also they become powerful as fuck at night and running into a swarm will almost certainly lead to death
- The zombies will still fall or become immobile if you damage other areas but they can attack you from the ground if you don’t finish them off
- Capcom Japan and Vancouver both contributed to development in some way. But it’s almost entirely new people
- 2 player co-op returns. No other form of multiplayer
- DR3 is canon. In this game there’s an entirely new zombie virus with a new origin story. Has nothing to do with Santa Cabeza or the Keyes.
Stay tuned to Gaming Tree House as the story unfolds.