Hello everybody, welcome to my recipe page, if you’re looking for Shepards pie recipe, look no further! We provide you only the best Shepards pie recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Shepards pie recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Make Healthy Eating A Part of Your Day-To-Day Life.
Opting to eat healthily offers great benefits and is becoming a more popular way of living. Poor diet is a leading factor in health problems such as heart disease and high blood pressure which can put a drain on the economy. There are more and more campaigns to try to get us to lead a healthier lifestyle and nonetheless it is also easier than ever to rely on fast, convenient food that is very bad for our health. It is likely that lots of people believe it will take great effort to eat a healthy diet or that they have to make a large scale change to the way they live. In reality, though, simply making a couple of modest changes can positively impact day-to-day eating habits.
You can make similar modifications with the oils that you use for cooking. Olive oil, for instance, is loaded with monounsaturated fats which are known as the good fats that battle the effects of bad cholesterol. Olive oil also provides vitamin E which is great for your skin, among other things. It could be that you already believe that you eat fruit and leafy greens but it can be worthwhile considering how fresh these are depending on where you get these. If you go for organic foods, you can avoid the problem of consuming crops that may have been sprayed with harmful pesticides. If you can locate a good local supplier of fresh fruit and veggies, you can also consume foods that have not lost their nutrients due to storage or not being picked at the right time.
As you can see, it’s not hard to start integrating healthy eating into your life.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to shepards pie recipe. To make shepards pie you need 27 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to cook Shepards pie:
- Take of For the mashed potatoes:.
- Get 1 bag of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
- You need of Water to cook the potatoes (enough to cover).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 3-4 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- Get 1/2 cup of milk.
- Provide of For the meat filling:.
- Provide 3 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- You need 1 of large onion, finely diced.
- Provide 3-4 of carrots, finely diced.
- You need 500 g of mince lamb (or any mince meat of preference).
- Get 2-3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Take 300 ml of beef stock/broth (or chicken).
- Get 2 tablespoon of tomato paste/purée.
- Provide 1 teaspoon of dry rosemary.
- Provide 1 teaspoon of dry thyme.
- Use 1-2 teaspoons of dry parsley.
- Provide 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- Use 1/2 teaspoon of paprika powder.
- Prepare 1/2 of nutmeg powder, optional.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to season.
- You need 1 cup of frozen peas, soaked in warm water.
- Get 2 teaspoons of corn flour.
- Get 2 tablespoons of water.
- Provide of Garnish:.
- Get of Grated cheddar cheese, sprinkled over the top of the mash, optional.
- Prepare of Grated black pepper, optional.
Instructions to make Shepards pie:
- Place the peeled and cut potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover potatoes with enough cold water and add salt. On high heat bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook potatoes until tender..
- While the potatoes cook, melt the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent tender (roughly 6 to 10 minutes). Tip: if adding vegetables, include them according to their cooking time. Carrots should be cooked along with the onions, as they take as long as the onions do..
- Once onions and carrots are cooked to the pan or wok, add mince meat, Worcestershire sauce, stock/broth, tomato purée, herbs, paprika, cumin and nutmeg powder (optional) and season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently and cook until no longer pink. When the meat is fully cooked add the peas and cook for about a minute as peas take little time to cook. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Tip: if the pie filling looks dry add more stock/broth to prevent meat drying out..
- Now check potatoes are cooked. Tip: when you can pierce it with a knife or fork, and it easily goes through and slides off. Turn of heat and remove the potatoes from the pot using a slotted spoon and place in a bowl..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6..
- In a bowl or sauce pan add butter and milk, mash potato using a fork or potato masher, and season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Taste the meat mixture and adjust seasoning if necessary (add more pepper, salt etc). Once the meat filling has reduced, turn off the heat. In a small bowl add corn flour and water. Mix and add to the mixture. Once the mixture is thickened to preference turn heat off..
- To assemble, layer all of the meat mixture at the bottom of casserole dish..
- Then spread the mash on top. To create texture rough up the surface of the mashed potatoes with a fork. If using grated cheese, sprinkle over the top of the mashed potato..
- Place in the preheated oven and cook until bubbling and the surface has browned (roughly 30 minutes). If necessary, change the oven setting to grill for a few minutes towards the end to brown the tops..
- Place a serving of Shepard's pie on a plate or bowl. Serve and eat immediately while hot. Tip: Pie can also be served with extra gravy and a side of green vegetables..
If you find this Shepards pie recipe useful please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.